Wednesday, October 5, 2011

steve jobs: 1955-2011


Today at work Billy went next door to our work neighbor's office and when he came back he looked at me and asked, "Did you hear the news?"

"What news?" I asked. I hear a lot of news every day!

"Steve Jobs passed away."

My heart immediately sank. Even with knowing that he had been battling cancer, the news still felt sadly unexpected.

Since I have known Billy he has always been telling me about the cutting edge things Apple's cofounder and former CEO, Steve Jobs, has done and said.

A couple years ago when Billy and I were in debate mode over if he should really leave Sam's Club, I came across Steve Job's 2005 Stanford commencement speech. You may recall we have posted it here on the blog before.

It's as if everything clicked in those moments of hearing him talk, and when Billy came home from Sam's on his lunch break I said, "Let's do it."

We watched the video clip again together later that night and decided it was really now or never. We didn't want to waste another minute of our days living someone else's life. It was time to follow on our own path!

Of course the speech alone wasn't the deciding factor...we had done the legwork ourselves in getting to a position where we we had the talent and resources to open a business. We had prayed immensely for God's guidance, and we had pretty awesome clients (including Randy Meyer and team) that also played significant role's in building our courage to take a chance.

However, I will never forget how hearing Steve Job's speech made me feel. It awakened a belief in me that somehow had fallen asleep...To do great work, you have to love and believe in what you do. I love and believed in my role as a mother and wife and watching my husband's energy and creativity slowly die with every passing day he logged in at Sam's Club...it was time for a new chapter in our lives. It was time for both of us to do great work that we loved and believed in.

I think I've quoted Steve too many times to count on our business FB page.

He was an innovator by all means of the word. He lead by example and his love for clean design is part of Apple's Legacy.

Billy made the above Apple logo timeline for reminiscing's sake. 

Steve. You wanted to put a "ding in the universe". You did.

Our condolences to Mr. Jobs' family and friends. We will all miss him dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...